A Compassionate Meal – Kolhapuri Tambda Chicken
I was telling you earlier about our compassionate meal.We make the meal from the state where our girl,we are sponsoring in,is living.It is also one of our way to remember her and let our family connect with her.
So in an effort to do so,i prepared chicken Kolhapuri .Now, Kolhapur is a name of city in a state of Maharashtra.It is famous for the footwear around the world.If you ever visit India,you have to get some “Kolhapuri sandles” 🙂
I have spent a month or longer in Maharashtra more then a decade ago and i hardly recall eating non-veg meal.I get the impression that Marathi meal is very simply prepared.As i was researching i found out
- Tambda means red.So the dish is suppose to be red in color.It is generally prepared using mutton.
- Dish is also spicy hot.Color red comes from the native chili pepper used in prepping this dish.
- Marathi also use peanut oil.Its called groundnut in Indian english.Which imparts red color.My dish was rather yellow but i am sticking with the name.I added paprika,cayenne pepper and mace later.
- Marathi cuisine uses coconut in spice mix or coconut milk in gravy based dishes.Of course,their coconut milk does not comes from a can.
- This dish has unique blend of spices.I hardly use poppy seeds in cooking.I used black but white is preferable.