My sister visited us for couple of days after long time and left this morning..When she was leaving,i wanted to make something for her take it with her to eat en-route or when she has a moment.So i baked Oatmeal Cranberry Walnut cookies and applesauce bread.
This idea of making something to take on journey is deep routed Indian upbringing we all had.My parents ALWAYS prepared and still do,something for us to eat when we travel or after we reach the destination.It is not that you do not get food while you are traveling.You absolutely can buy plenty to eat,however it will lack the ‘taste of home’.Joy of eating Mom’s paratha and Bhujiya while i was cruising away from home,which took as long as 2 days of train journey back then,has always been heartwarming.
I do not cook anything as elaborate as my mom and papa did for travel purpose,waking up as early as 3 A.M to make it fresh and warm if we are leaving home at 6 A.M and so on.It is hard to separate Indian from homecooked meal.Traveling doesn’t mean they are left to eat at next DQ or Burger King.
So the Applesauce..
If there was apple orchard that we can go apple picking,we would have filled the bushels of apple may be.I absolutely marvel at the idea of picking the fruit from the tree.It is so earthy and wonderful for kids to experience it but we don’t..so for us the reality was as close as our local grocery store.I let Ms A. pick the apples.She looked for dent ,bruises,smelled for sweetness and bagged the apple one by one…I am lazy to look for where i saved the applesauce making pictures,somewhere in unfindable land.
- We washed around 8-9 apples,sliced it using apple slicer.You can use knife if you don’t have slicer.
- We added all the sliced apples in slow cooker.Added about 2 cups of water and let it cook at low for all day.
- In the end,i simply mashed it with potato masher.Blender is preferable but mine was in dishwasher and i had absolutely no desire to handwash it that time.
- You can add sugar and cinnamon,if you like.I didn’t.
- I kept some applesauce refrigerated and froze some for later.
- We love this bread with coffee but it is good as it is.
- It is VERY moist and fragrant bread.Perfect for fall that I am dreaming of in 100F heat here.
- I have made this bread using regular honey and local wildflower honey.I must add local wildflower honey takes this bread to whole another level.Subtle aroma it adds to the dish wants to make you take a deep breath as you are about to bite it.
- I have also made this bread using whole red wheat flour.As you may have guessed texture was much more denser then white whole wheat.However,i have to say,whole wheat flour applesauce tastes pretty good too despite of being dense and i would be adding more of it to white whole wheat next time.