‘Bhujiya’ is part of everyday breakfast item in the North,North-East part of India,I grew up.Some of you here,might recognize ‘Bhindi-Masala’ in Indian restaurent menu.Though this particular dish does not have as much ‘Masala mix’ to it since it used for breakfast and not for lunch.My mom cooked some sort of ‘Bhujiya’ every morning for us and I think it is the BEST BREAKFAST accompaniment ever.I know I am biased.I don’t think I have ever cooked this for breakfast after coming here.Why?I am lazy for stove top cooking in the morning.
So whats in the name?
Bhujiya – Sauteed vegetable in Hindi.In order to make it quickly,usually vegetables are cut small.
‘Bhindi’ -It is hindi for ‘Okra’ in American english.We call it ‘Ladysfinger’ in Indian english because it kind of look like that :-).
This dish is prepared by my sister Pritha.She is living very busy lifestyle of working professional in metropolitan India.You see,we all loved my mom’s breakfast and even though I am too lazy to cook it here,she is not.She happily prepares it for herself and her husband regularly.This is how she prepared it.I am adjusting the ingredient amount little.Indian prefers hot and spicy.
- Since I don’t make this dish for breakfast,I prepare this for lunch/dinner with Tortilla.I use frozen okra of course.Cheap and easy.
- Okra does not take long to cook.10 mins.So it is good lunch in a snap.
- Indian traditionally use ‘Kadai’ for cooking everyday meal.It is similar to Chinese Wok.Though unlike ‘wok’ ,it doesn’t have to seasoned.Usually heavy bottom,made of aluminum-iron metal mix.Every Indian family owns it.
- You can make this dish with least of spices.You can get by using just the cumin seeds for seasonings.You can omit chili as well .Of course if you use everything listed in ingredients,it will not only add extra kick to this humble dish.Aroma will fill up your kitchen.
- If you are using Frozen Okra.You do not need to thaw it.Just cook it at very high heat.It helps in thawing as well as keeps it from getting sticky in the end.Once, slickness is gone,turn the heat down.
- It is a very quick side dish to any meal and certainly for Indian inspired meal.Give it a try sometime.