Blueberry Skillet Cake
Did i tell you about my recent obsession with cast iron skillet?I went to world’s market recently and was checking out things as swiftly as i could with two completely bored kiddos.I constantly kept nagging them by saying ‘don’t touch this or that’..There i saw it again..Cast iron skillet.I lifted,weighed checked it and couldn’t put it back at the shelf.Couple of minutes later,i became proud owner of cast iron skillet,which was smaller and lighter then what i had with 120+ years company name attached to it.I had completely justified the purchase.Episode one of this saga ends here.
Then we were in our routine trip to the library.While kids were hopscotching ,I came across this recipe in ‘Food’ magazine and quickly snapped the picture of the page.(I read other stuff too but food is way more interesting).I was stuck at the title as it had ‘skillet’.Then i read it completely ‘Blackberry skillet cake’ and it was a problem..Here is why
- With my past experience,I know that my family does not like fruity stuff mixed in their food,if it is conspicuous and chances are their teeth can not avoid biting on it.It will be meticulously picked and left out in the plate.However, they have been tricked in eating fruit in their food,they just don’t know it.
However,in this case,there wasn’t going around.I couldn’t look past the ‘skillet’ and i thought it would be perfect way to break in to new skillet.So off we headed to the grocery right from the library…and no blackberries to be found.I thought…hmmm.I am not giving up.I am making something.I can use blueberries for the blue of ‘red white and blue’ for upcoming 4th July.No, i wasn’t thinking that but it would have been great if i would have coordinated other colors to transform this into red-white-blue dessert.
- It met with skepticism as i had expected for the reasons i knew and was not touched by anyone other then me,that evening.
- Next day,it was out from the refrigerator and was eaten with coffee by my husband.Later on the same day,it was devoured by my two kids.Make no mistake,they didn’t touch the blueberries and ate the fluffy yellow top of it .
- I have to say,if you don’t have problem chewing on fruit you may like it.Blueberries were not tart at all.
- Cake was super fluffy and moist in itself..So next time i will try another version of the same.
- Recipe asked to invert the cake,i didn’t do this step.We scooped it up as it is.I was too lazy to do that.(Besides,seeing blueberry at the top,it might have been lost cause for me to convince my family to even try)