Broken Yellow Rice
Whats in the name?
I went to the Chinese store little while back and noticed they have decent size bag of Jasmine Rice.So I grabbed.When my turn came to pay at the counter,I noticed that it is not ‘Jasmine rice‘ but it is ‘Broken Jasmine Rice‘ that I have picked up by mistake.I looked behind me,it was a long line of people.Mind you,my kids think standing in the line quietly is against the rule,they have to go to aisle and lift the product and bring it to their eye level if they can,to see what it is.So I don’t wanted to go back and correct my mistake and stand back in the line again.I paid and moved on.Driving back I was thinking,what I am gonna do with this rice?My thought was,if it is sold in the store,it is eaten.I asked my mom,she said,they used to get ‘broken’ rice as leftover from ‘rice milling process’.My grandparents cultivated rice.So i was set to experiment with it.That explains the ‘Broken’ part,if you were wondering.
During my Post Graduation years,i moved to South India and noticed this ‘yellow rice, speckled with some sort of seeds with very distinct aroma,being enjoyed frequently during lunch hours or in the train by my fellow companions,whenever I traveled .I came to know that it is ‘Lemon rice’ and those seeds are nothing but Lentils.It is tart and spicy rice.Very distinct aroma comes from ‘Curry leaves’ which is very basic,almost always present in South Indian cuisines.South Indian dishes tend to VERY SPICY in general(my guess is because one of the best and spiciest chili is grown in the area).I totally omitted the spicy part,i am not used to of adding ‘lentils’ in my seasoning just yet and i didn’t had ‘curry leaves’ in hand.So i simplified it as follows.
|Broken Yellow Rice||
- 1.5 cups of Broken Rice/Any rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 -2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Make the rice as usual.
- In a pan,add 1-1.5 tablespoon of oil.Add mustard seeds.When it starts blooming,add chopped onions and saute until translucent.
- Add Turmeric powder to the rice and juice of lemon.Stir it.
- Add the rice.Season it with salt and stir it.
- Enjoy it with yogurt,Indian pickles,potatoes.
- I will most certainly be using the ‘Curry Leaves’ to this dish,if I have in hand.It is available in Indian stores,green or dried unless you just buy the plant and grow it :-).It adds very vivid aroma to this dish which I absolutely love.
- I don’t keep Green jalapeno in hand but deseeded Jalapeno would be wonderful in this dish,if you don’t do spicy.
- Adjust the lemon juice as per your likeness.
- ‘Broken’ rice worked great in this dish.It is half the size of regular Jasmine rice.It had the texture similar to ‘couscous’ which we liked.So it worked out after all.