Chicken and Shrimp Biryani
Whenever I think about Chicken Biryani,I think of comfort food.The term ‘comfort food‘ I learnt again for me watching too much of food network shows.It has different meaning for everyone.It is something which doesn’t only warm up your belly,it warms up yours thoughts,just simple feel good.The food which makes you warm and happy.
I must admit,I did not grew up eating Chicken Biryani.I have list of comfort food which reminds me of my mom’s cooking and which I LOVE.Though as I moved around in India for study and work,I had close encounter with Biryani and fell in love with it.
However for a very long time,this remain to be a distant desire because traditionally Biryani is a long time intensive process,cooked in deep dutch oven,layered with rice and long marinated chicken,sprinkled with saffron water and sealed with dough,cooked over flame slowly.Oh I can smell the aroma and just writing the description makes me drool !!!Ever since,i have always been in search of making it easy and this is what i settled at.I know the list of ingredients are daunting but trust me it makes it all good.
- If you don’t have all the spices.Use 1.5 tsp of Garam Masala while cooking chicken.It will give you the similar taste and aroma.
- If you don’t have Garam Masala,you can use whatever seasoning blend you have in hand.It won’t be authentic smelling chicken Biryani but you will still like the result.I have done it with Adobo,Taco,Fajita,Fiesta Lime,Southwest Chipotle,any Latin/Mexican blend seasoning.
- I don’t prefer chicken breast meat in Biriyani because it tends to dry .I would prefer chicken drumsticks or thighs,Leg quarters and debone it once cooked.If using boneless thighs,take it out as soon as its cooked and add later.It doesn’t take long to cook.
- To know the amount of water you need to add in rice.Put a back of spatula,marked 1″ from the bottom, touching the rice.Keep adding water until the water reaches to 1″ .I use my finger at times.Mostly i eyeball it.
- I would use chopful of Mint,if i have it.It gives that minty aroma to it,which i like.