Caccitore(CatchY-Tori) means ‘hunter’ in Italian.It is rustic hunter style braised chicken stew.This also happens to be my 3 year old boy’s favorite way to eat chicken.He doesn’t really care for pasta or rice or bread with it.So taking clue from that i had prepared at big scale for couple of my friends family with kids over the dinner. It got good review,so i decided to solidify the recipe and we were ready for the remake this past week.
I served it with purple beetroot rice.We love rice in our family,white rice precisely but i also feel guilty eating and serving ‘white’ rice to my family frequently.So almost always i add veggies to it, to make up for that.This time i decided to give the white rice colorful beetroot makeover.I love the deep magenta hue it gives to the rice,not to mention beets are so very good for you.Did you see how you can use guilt in healthy way?
- Onion,Bell pepper and mushroom are key Cacciatore vegetables.
- Red wine or white wine is the choice of braising liquid.However i used only chicken broth.I have also prepared it with water.
- Thyme,Oregano and Italian Basil are the herbs of choice.You can add choice of your Italian seasoning blend if you like.
- Tomatoes gives body to the dish.It is served with pasta or you can dip the bread in the sauce.I served it with purple beetroot rice.
- I used bone-in thighs,it is very easy to get the bone-out once it is cooked.Because of skin-on chicken thighs,you do not need much of the oil.Many times i skim the extra oil and gravy and use it to make rice with it later.
- My homemade chicken broth is super simple.I prefer bone-in meats.I think it gives flavor to the dish and keeps it moist.Whenever i am deboning the chicken breast etc,i throw in some water and boil the bone for easy broth.Many time i use it immediately or freeze it for later use.If i am not too lazy at that moment,i would add bay leaves,peppercorns , celery to the broth for added punch.
So this is how i prepared Chicken Cacciatore.