My first acquaintance with Enchilada had to be when my roommate was invited to her American friend house and they had hands on Mexican cooking.It was decade ago,my beginning months in US.She brought a piece back for me to taste.I loved the taste and she explained to me how it was made and all the details but she didn’t know the name,so i asked her to find out next day.And she did came with the name which we both had trouble saying for long time.We said it slowly,dissecting the word in couple of letters(En-chi-la-da).
Forgotten the name.My next encounter didn’t happen until I got married and found out my hubby loves Mexican food and visited restaurant.Then i stared piecing it together.It was Chicken Enchilada with green verde sauce,wrapped in corn tortilla.I remembered the tangy taste and look of it.To this day,this is my most favorite kind of Enchilada.First impression has lasting impression as the story goes..
As you are going along with the story,lets me tell you what I did this in particular instance.I almost never make enchilada unless I have leftover chicken to figure out with what to do.Weird i know.I used Salsa to layer the bottom of the dish and topped it with tomatillo sauce however you can use same sauce for top and bottom.This is what goes into this.I wasn’t measuring anything,so estimates are rough in the recipe.
- 12 Corn Tortilla
- 3 cups Mexican Blend cheese (or Shredded Cheddar cheese)
- 2 cups Tomatillo Sauce
- 2 cups Picante Sauce
- 3 Tablespoon Mexican Crema
- Leftover chicken
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Tbl Southwest Chipotle seasoning(Use your Favorite)
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons oil.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a pan,add onion and celery.Saute it until translucent.
- Add leftover chicken and rest of the ingredient.
- Cook it and break the chicken into small pieces in cooking process.
- Add water.
- Simmer it for 15-20 mins.
- Mix Picante Sauce with 2 tablespoon crema.
- Layer the glass baking dish with Picante-Crema sauce.
- Microwave the corn tortilla,so it is pliable.
- Add the filling in each corn tortilla.
- Top with cheese and roll it.
- Put the seam side down on dish.
- Add crema to tomatillo sauce and spread it on top.
- Layer it with cheese.
- Cook it covered with Aluminum foil at 375F for 20-25 mins.
- Top it with crema.
- Serve it just by itself or along with Spanish rice/beans.
Flour tortilla can be used instead of corn tortilla.I prefer corn in enchilada.
Use your choice of enchilada sauce/salsa and cheese.
Sour cream can be easily substituted for creama.I find crema richer and luscious.