Chicken Stir fry with Black Bean Sauce
My husband and I are big on Chinese food.Growing up,i had Indo Chinese dishes.I still think think they are best.So now that we have moved out from the city,we don’t let the opportunity for good Chinese food pass by easily.There is a ‘Hunan’ Chinese restaurant in a city,called ‘Mencius’ and i love love their Chicken in Black Bean Sauce.First time i ordered this dish because i couldn’t find the type of noodle dish i was looking for, in their menu.Pleasantly,it did not disappoint me.Since then i have tried time and again to replicate this dish at home and i am never successful.When i make/order Chinese dishes,it has to appeal to me color and texture wise, more then any other kind of dish.
One thing i have learnt about chinese cooking is,since it uses such combination of hot,sour,sweet and spicy all at the same time,getting the proportion of each kind of ingredient is crucial.Little imbalance in tartness vs nuttiness can ruin the whole dish.So i still have ways to go to nail down the right ratio.I don’t wanted to take the chances with the sauce ratio,so i followed Stir Fried chicken with Black Bean Sauce with minor tweaks in ingredients i had.
- My dish certainly does not look like what i have eaten out,nor do they taste the same.Mine has a taste of its own,luckily in a good way this time 🙂
- I am the kind of person who improvises with what i have in the pantry.However with Chinese cooking,i tend to stick with authentic Chinese vinegar,soy sauce and other sauces as much as i can.
- I don’t like vegetable very crunchy,so i cook it until its pliable,translucent.
- I am also the believer in cooking with the wine which i will be drinking.Though,with Chinese cooking,i have chosen to make an exception.I did find most recommended Shaoxing rice wine.It comes in a big bottle.My thought is i would be using 1 tablespoon or 2 at a time and based on my very very limited knowledge of wine,it will go bad if it remain opened for long time since we are not drinking that for sure.If it starts coming in very small bottle,i may go back to the real deal.Until then i am sticking with salt added,cooking wine,which will not go bad after opening the bottle, for the lack of any other authentic options.
- For my senses,regular super market rice wine Vs authentic Chinese Rice wine makes recognizable difference and i will always go for authentic,if i can.