Chicken Tikka Masala
What is one of the popular Indian dish here among the American?
When i ask this question,more then often i hear Chicken Tikka Masala among other dishes in the list.My husband is no exception to this .He loves it with Shrimp Biryani.So i made it for our Christmas Eve dinner.Kept it very less spicy so my kids can eat.
I was not aware of the popularity of this dish growing up but then there are so many yummy dishes out there,i don’t know about.I have a feeling the mild rich taste of the aromatic chicken makes it appetizing.
‘Tikka’ in Hindi means ‘Patties’ and ‘Masala’ is ‘Spices’.So basically chunks of boneless chicken cooked in thick tomato and cream based spiced gravy.I have made this couple of times at home and i will admit,i have not been able to replicate the smoky flavor of the chicken,i find at restaurant..Something to keep working on.I have often broiled it or grilled the marinade chicken cubes.Regardless,it has been well liked and devoured.
It is best served with Naan or pulao/pilaf.
- Richness of the dish comes from heavy cream added in the last minute.
- I stir crushed “Kasoori Methi”(dry fenugreek leaves) towards the end.It adds the essential aroma to the dish besides fenugreek is good for you.
- Chicken breast are often used in this dish.
- As usual i keep the spicness toned down for my family.
- 4-5 Chicken Breast cut in cubes
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Cumin seeds ground
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp Hungarian Paprika or 'kasgmiri mirch' powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 cup yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 (14.5 Oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2- 3/4 cup water
In the end
- 1 Teaspoon dried Fenugreek leaves
- chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Poke the cubed chicken pieces with fork.
- Add the cubed chicken to the bowl and mix it with marinade ingredients.
- Let it marinade it for 4-5 hrs.
- Take it out from the refrigerator and let it come to the room temperature for 15 mins.
- Lay it down on baking sheet and broil it for 10 mins.
- Puree tomatoes,ginger,garlic in blender.
- In a pan,add oil.
- Add pureed tomato mix and cumin , coriander powder.Cook it for 5 mins.
- Add broiled chicken cubes.Add little water
- Towards the end,when chicken is done and gravy is of the desired consistency,add garam masala and stir it.Simmer it for 1 minute
- Add heavy cream and turn the heat off.
- Add crushed fenugreek leaves and stir.
- Let it sit for 10-15 mins.
- Serve it with Naan/Pilaf.
Fenugreek leaves adds the very aroma to this dish.It is available in Indian stores.If you can't find it,add 'Mint leaves'.