What comes in your mind with American food?
I immediately think of hot dogs,burgers and fries.American food is much more versatile however.Please don’t get me wrong,I am fully aware of regional specialties and many comfort food we have here.
So what exactly is hot dog?I wondered about it when i first got here.Then i remember one of my friend having it.I was little disappointed to see it in its simplicity for the first time.A log shaped meat in bun,topped with ketchup and mustard.What is there to like about it?I have never tasted the hot dog myself being non-red meat eater.But i have seen hot dogs being served in many ways.The one which i put together for friends and family,looked too tempting
- There are lots of theories behind the name and i would suggest you check out the library!
- Do you know that in U.S,July is national hot dog month?Americans eat record setting number of hot dogs on 4th of July.
- Hot dog is synonymous with ball game food.
- Yellow mustard, ketch up ,cole slaw are standard hot dog toppings however you have lots of room of creativity as far as toppings go.
Some of the suggestions to make your hot dogs world level,as per Food Network Magazine(July 2011):
- Asian mustard, Kimchi with chopped red Onion for Korean whereas peanut sauce,carrot and cilantro for Thai effect .
- Tzatziki,cucumber and black Kalamata olives for Greek,Chipotle mayo, cotija cheese and avocado for Mexican,Pimento Cheese,Serrano ham and manchego cheese for Spanish twist.
- German mustard,sauerkraut and small pieces of pretzels for German whereas Lingonberry Jam,caramelized onions and gravy for Swedish taste.
In my opinion,one of the reason hot dogs are so popular is because it is so easy to put together.It hardly takes time to grill it outdoor or stove top.Very basic mustard and Ketchup goes long way.Not to mention,it is easy to hold and eat as you are walking around.
My husband likes chili topped hot dogs.So that’s what i did when we got together with friends last week.Empty plates and second serving are good sign,won’t you agree?
- Prepare chili as per direction here.
- Grill the hot dogs.
- Open your hot dog buns.Some of my friends like it toasted, some as it is.
- Place grilled hot dogs in the middle of the bun.Top it with Chili and chopped onion,scallions,cheese if you like.Enjoy!