Chocolate Mochi Brownie
Couple months ago,my friend Ethel had made Ono butter mochi and with that i was introduced to Mochiko.A sweet and glutinous Japanese rice flour.I was looking for this particular kind of rice flour in our nearby grocery store but couldn’t find it.Disappointing.So Ethel got me her box of rice flour.Isn’t she sweet?
It sat in my pantry for little while,i was trying to figure out what to make using that which not only me but everyone else in the family will like it too.So one night as i was watching food network, where episode was focused on Hawaiian dish.We have been to Hawaii and i love love tropical island of Hawaii.What grabbed my attention was the usage of Mochiko flour across the dishes. Hawaii has largest number of Japanese population in US,so Japanese cuisine is part of Hawaiian culture.Suddenly i was in look out for Mochi.I came across the recipe for Chocolate Mochi Brownie which i followed as it is.
Keep in mind
- Don’t stay hung up on fudge brownie,which you and I so love,this is NOT the same.So taste it with open mind.I obviously liked it.
- It is very chocolate-e just like brownie but only top 1/8 inch layer taste like ‘regular’ brownie texture wise.Rest of it has ‘glutinous’ as in ‘sticky’ texture,very much like ono butter mochi which i like.
- If you are allergic to gluten,it is good substitute for regular brownie.
- It got average review from my husband but my kids, particularly my 3 yr old cared less it if it is Japanese or American.
- I felt it is lighter then the regular brownie and very moist.I will use 1/4 cup less sugar next time though,it was too sweet for me.
- Since finding this particular kind of rice flour is hard for me,it will make special appearance at our house for now.