Cocoa Cowboy cookies
hmmmm…that was a tongue twister,wasn’t it?
Couple of days ago,our church had a garage sale to raise money for adoption fund.There my eyes caught this book and i promptly grabbed it.We are baking these days and i noticed cowboys cookies as the very first recipe on that book.So i have been thinking to give it a try for a while.
Today is also the feast of St. Nick’s day.Though i came to know about it only by chance.My friend Melissa had excellent write up on St Nick and i was determined to find something St Nick at the library today.So i thought i will bake some goodies to take it to Ms Constance at the library,fitting for St Nicks’ day .
If you have been to our local library,you know Ms Constance. She is never too busy to ask you,your well being.She is always very helpful and very fun.Ours kids know her and she made us feel comfortable at the library,when she found out we are new to the area.
Apart from this,library has been our place to couch down in some ways.We live too far to make a frequent trip to the house,if we have things to take care of in town in the interval of one hour or so.Often to pass time,we end up in our library,reading book,playing peeps , building lego tower or simply enjoying the library backyard.You get the idea.This local library and friendshop beside it, is adored place for me and our kids.
So i baked two different kind of cookies.I was rather experimenting and wished it turned out to be good enough to take.First batch were chocolate chip cookies and second one were cowboys cookies.
- I noticed that lots of cowboy cookies do not use cocoa powder.This particular recipe does and i stayed with it.
- I used Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder.It has strong chocolate after taste.so if you love chocolate,you will love this.It you are not a fan of dark strong chocolate,you may not love this.Our family didn’t seem to be bothered about it.
- Recipe is meant for ‘gift in a jar’, which means all the dry ingredients are suppose to be layered ,one after another in 1 quart jar.I was baking it right away,so i chose to cream the butter and sugar together before adding other dry ingredients to it.
- I swapped the all purpose for whole wheat and 1/2 cup brown sugar to coconut sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar was cane sugar (demerara kind)
- Recipe doesn’t say what kind of nuts,i preferred walnut and used craisins instead of raisins.