You know Irish are famous for their whisky ,pubs and St. Patrick’s day.But do you know they are popular for their Potatoes too?My limited knowledge of history tells me that,Potatoes are originated in Ireland.I totally thought,growing up that it got to be so Indian and who could blame me for that,for the amount of potatoes Indians consume in every shape and forms so regularly?
‘Colcannon‘ is quintessential traditional Irish dish,prepared with cabbage,generous amount of butter/heavy cream,mixed with ham at time.It resembled the ‘unspiced’ version of what Indians would do with their potatoes.It was totally genius,since now I can add cabbage to the beloved mashed potatoes without dressing it up as Indian.
Ever since,I hardly ever make regular mashed potatoes,I always sneak in those ‘cabbage’ which my family loves so dearly(Sarcasm alert.).When i first made this,there were apprehensions about ‘poky’ green things as my kids put it.I have made it so frequently that it doesn’t bother anyone.So yesterday,i took a step further.I added mix of purple and green shredded cabbage along with some chopped curly kale.No one complained and asked for double serving instead.Be warned,you risk blurring the vision of real mashed potatoes for your childrens and your husband 🙂
- Traditionally,this dish has lot of butter and cream.To keep it tone downed,i use the mixture of olive oil and butter.
- I hardly keep heavy cream in hand.So i use regular milk or even i have used warm chicken stock instead of any dairy at all at times.
- You can add onion,scallion to it.I leave them out sometime.I would say if you are using onion,make sure it gets cozy with oil a little.
- I experiment.I have made with just green cabbage.Yesterday,i added the combination of purple and green cabbage finely chopped along with chopped kale.
- My mashed potatoes to cooked cabbage ,ratio were 1:1.You can certainly adjust cabbage to lesser side, to give potatoes an edge.
- You can add cooked chopped ham,crispy bacon to it.I leave them out.
We were enjoying this meal with Ethiopian and American company.Pickle juice Marinade(American)Roasted Berbere (Ethiopian)Chicken.By this time,our kids are very accustomed to finding out where the meal is from.We have a placemat with world map,not to mention it is overused.We asked our daughter to pray for the lost people of Ireland,Ethiopia and of course all us here in America before she scooped out the double serving of potatoes.