Couple of months ago,we took a trip down to the beach.We had dinner at one of the friend recommended food joint.We noticed in their menu a salad,called ‘fumi salad’,served along with fish.No description.Since ‘fumi’ sounded very Chinese to me and this place was named ‘Mexican’ ,i was curious.So i asked the server.She explained it graciously.What i understood is,it is coleslaw with oriental twist.Prepared using,rice vinegar,drizzled with sesame oil and couple other ingredients
If you had asked me 10 years ago to eat raw cabbage,i would have said,”Are you kidding me?.No,i would eat 10 other things first before i would even entertain the idea of eating raw shredded cabbage.”Fast forward,i am in love with this raw cabbage in sweet dressing.Not a fond of mayo based but i fell in love with vinegar based Cole slaw,my friend Jess prepared .Problem is i am the only one in my family who likes it.My husband eats it reluctantly and i am hoping,my kids would join hands with me one day.
So today as we had fish for dinner,i adjusted Jess’ recipe for the amount i had and for my taste and it was just as good as i remember.
- I must emphasize, for me at least,type of vinegar plays HUGE role.I would go with white vinegar but not with apple cider for example.Anything which has strong aroma to it,is ‘no’ for me.Also i am particular about brand of the ‘rice vinegar’ for exact ‘aroma’ reason.The one which i like and have been using for sometime is of ‘Marukan’ brand,it has no distinct aroma of store bought,which i have used earlier.Very mild.Very subtle taste.
- I didn’t had olive oil as the original recipe asks for.I used grapeseed oil.
- I added the sugar in the increment,starting with 1/2 teaspoon.Tasting it as i mixed.
- Mustard powder has a kick and little goes long way.I can feel it in my throat with loose 1/2 teaspoon.
- You can use pre-shredded cabbage and normally what i would do but this particular evening,i shredded mine.
- It goes well on fish taco or served aside with chicken gravy dish or any BBQ.