Cranberry Chocolate Cookies
We are taking slow little steps towards feeding on whole wheat,whole grain,no processed anything diet, in our family.Old habits die hard so we have LONG WAYS to go.I decided to tackle the most important part of the meal,dessert first :-).
I bought whole wheat white flour,which is made out of soft spring wheat,has finer texture and less protein then its counterpart hardy red whole wheat flour.For those who are starting on whole wheat route like us,this is good starting point, it gives less grainy,less dense texture to the baked goods then ‘red’ whole wheat flour,which is from hardy winter wheat,has more protein.
This recipe comes from King Arthur Unbleached White whole Wheat Flour 5 Lb. pack.I had enough cranberries and walnut left,since we made oatmeal cranberry walnut cookies. I wanted to try chocolate chip version of cookies this time.I had some minor tweaks but result was still amazing.(Because it was eaten without complain about texture or density or any those things i expect while using whole wheat)
- Recipe calls for 1-1/4 cup white whole wheat flour.I substituted 1/4 cup of that with (red)whole wheat flour.
- It asks for orange juice,i didn’t had orange juice.I had grapefruit,which i sliced and juiced.I just eyeballed.
- These cookie didn’t spread for me a lot.It was moist and soft however .It was quickly devoured,so my guess is, it didn’t matter if it was whole wheat or all purpose.Flat or round.
- You can use chocolate chips in the recipe.I must have been blind while i picked up the pack and didn’t realize until i was ready to add that i bought chocolate ‘chunks‘ not chocolate ‘chips‘.
- I almost always forget to get the butter out to let it come on room temperature.So i microwave it for 12-15 seconds until it gets bit soft without loosing its shape.