Crock Pot Unfried beans
Beans are great candidate for crock pot.They are hardy,so it takes them long to cook.This is how i made my unfried crock pot beans.
3 cups dry Pinto beans
6 5 cups of water
1 Tbl Fiesta Lime seasoning
1 tsp Southwest Chipotle seasoning
1 Tbl ground Cumin(Optional)
1/4 tsp Turmeric(Optional)
1 Onion chopped
1 can diced Tomatoes
Salt to taste
- Not much to do here.Dump everything in a Slow cooker and let it cook at low for 6-7 hrs.Mash it in the end and you have unfried beans.
- You can surely use seasoning of your choice .Or you can forget seasoning mix altogether and add the spices individually such as garlic,oregano,pepper etc.
- I added cumin because I like them in beans dishes.Personal choice.
- I added Turmeric even though it was not going to impart any color to the dish because pinch of ‘Turmeric’ love is good for your health.
- It makes tons of beans.I freeze them in small baggies and use it across dishes.
- General rule of crock pot cooking is ,you use less water then you would normally use in its stove top version with the exception of few like rice(you use the same amount of water as you would on stove top)
- 6 cups of water was TOO MUCH water.My beans were swimming in a pool.Next time I am going to reduce the water to 4.5-5 cups.It would have taken FOREVER for water to dry in crock pot.So I transferred the cooked beans to a deep pot and let the water evaporate.
Whats in the name?
- I named this dish ‘UNfried’ because there is no ‘frying’ going on here.Unlesss you consider evaporating water to deal with water fiasco frying.
- Reading Refried_beans tells that ‘Re’ in Spanish does not mean the same thing as in English.