Easy Quinoa Pulao
I have heard about ‘Quinoa‘(Sounds like “Kin-wa”) for quite sometime now ,so I bought it but unknown intimidated me.Quinoa is crowned as ‘Superfood’,or ‘wonderfood’.And rightly so,it is great for heart,gluten free,easy to digest.It was considered ‘Gold for Incas’.So you guessed,it has been around for long time,ancient of ages.Latin American countries Peru,Bolivia,Columbia are the biggest producer of Quinoa.
Inspired by my friend April,who is making encouraging changes for healthy lifestyle,I decided to break the ice and sail through it.So i gave it a try today.It looked like small round bird seeds.I cooked it like rice,same 1:2 ratio of Quinoa and Water.When it is done,it sort of sprouts and you would see the ‘white’ bloom coming out of it.Doesn’t it look fascinating?I like the transformation.It does not have the taste of its own,much like rice.Which gives you the opportunity to flavor it in a way you like it.I gave it a flavor I am familiar with,Indian of course.
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups water
1 Chicken bouillon Cube/Broth/Water
3/4 cup peas
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 medium zucchini chopped
1/4 cup small chopped pineapple
handful of coriander leaves
3/4 tsp curry powder
Salt to taste
- Cook the Quinoa like you would cook rice.I added bouillon cube to the water.
- In a pan,saute some onion,zucchini .Add peas,frozen or fresh.
- Add cooked Quinoa to sautéed vegetable mix.Season it with curry powder,salt.Stir it all too well and let it sit for 5 mins.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- If you think,meal is not complete just with vegetables.Add some shrimp to it or serve it with grilled chicken.
- You can use resins/crasins if you like.I preferred pineapples instead.
- If you didn’t like it first time,give it some more time and try it again.I bet your heart will thank you.My 5 yr old daughter said,it tastes like Chinese fried rice 🙂