Why eat plain white rice, when you can eat ‘Geelrys’?
Learn it from the South Africans.
- Geelrys is rice with effortless exuberant personality. It is aromatic, has touch of sweetness and is bursting with yellow color.
- Raisins add sweet bite to it.I don’t care for raisins as it is but I like it plumped as it cooks in rice. My kids not so much in the rice.
- Turmeric adds the yellow tint to rice. Cinnamon adds aroma. Brown sugar adds touch of sweetness.
- I have cooked it with medium grain and long Basmati rice. My preference is long Basmati rice.
- You cook this rice in same way as you would regular rice, adding everything to it at once in the beginning.
- I always make it enough to last for two meals.You can adjust the amount for one meal,if you like.
- I don’t like sweetness in savory dishes.So I have experimented it with less sugar or no sugar time to time.I often serve it with spicy chicken curry.
After I found out about Geelrys, I hardly make white rice. It takes the same amount of time to cook both, so why not add some personality to it. Presentation is much more appealing.You always eat with your eyes first 🙂
This was our second stamp to Africa in short time. We are getting better about not confusing ‘Africa’, the continent with ‘South Africa‘ the country and finding out its location. Not to mention, praying for those sweet people. We are fascinated by African masks but I think I am going to teach my kids how to play ‘Mancala‘ for a change .Have you heard of it?