Green Chicken Tortilla Soup
It is another wet and cold day here.I am not complaining about the rain.Here we hang at stage 5 constantly,blame it on our shallow aquifer .Despite of the hassle that it creates in my routine,i am all for getting as much rain as we can get here.
So what are you feeding your family in this cold wet – wet day?Sounds like reading Cat in A Hat is in the order too !
Hmm…we are having soup.Chicken Tortilla Soup..No..green Chicken Tortilla Soup precisely 🙂
It seems to be popular choice of soup around.I had made a version of it couple of days ago for lunch while one of our friends were visiting.It was hit among the kids and adult alike,despite of zippy kick of pepper it has.So i tried again.
- This soup contains handful of Collard greens.It is totally optional.It is certainly not a part of chicken tortilla soup but this is one of my way to feed greens to my family.Other then the color and hidden nutrition,no weird impact on taste.You can use Kale,spinach,chard etc if you like or leave the greens out completely.
- I make this soup with tomatillos and chopped tomatoes half and half,you can stick with all tomatoes,if you want to.I have made both ways.
- I used corn tortilla chips,crushed up,instead of corn tortilla.Same effect.I was trying to use the small pieces of tortilla chips left at the bottom of chips bag.
- Again,peppers.You can use your choice of peppers.I happen to find some Orange Long Sweet Peppers,which i wanted to use.Think orange Hatch pepper.I used that with Poblano.
- You obviously don’t have to make your own stock and boil the chicken.You can use roasted chicken leftover.I buy the whole chicken and cut it myself to save few bucks.So as i boil the chicken and stock is made simultaneously.
- Soup may look like it has added oil.It does not.I used half chicken so it has dark and white pieces.
- You can control the consistency of the soup.We like more of a thicker soup.So less water or more tortilla chips.Opposite for the thinner.
- I had added 1/4 cup of heavy cream in the end.I forgot to do so this time.