Happy Chicken Stew
Here in South Texas,winter has totally different meaning.Yes when temp is in mid 40F- 50F,it is winter.If it is coupled with rain,you can bet it slows down the life,at least for me.Yes that’s cold here.On such cold and wet evening,spooning the steaming hot ‘chili’ along with cornbread brings the warmth.Slowly cooked beef with spices,all well mingled together,served with cornbread ,is traditional fare .I customized it to fit our taste.So I settled on chicken stew.
I was gonna name it just the ‘Chicken Stew’ but I changed my mind after the dinner.Both of my kids,almost 3 and 5 couldn’t get enough of it.Yes it was the first time miracle at the dinner table that they asked the number of serving for something which I totally didn’t expect to.Especially my daughter.It is spicy chicken stew without heat, which certainly won’t be qualified as kids favored meal but I guess both of mine have developed palate for spices.
Though what I cooked may not be qualified as ‘chili’ in traditional sense,these are some of the ‘chili’ing facts I have got to know about it.
- For a long time,I didn’t know ‘chili’ is a dish made with meat and spices simmered for long time and popular during cold weather.I know dumb.I simply thought,it is a spice as in ‘chili’ pepper.Until one day my husband talked about the chili he loved at one of the popular fast food joint and I had to find out what the heck is that,since it can not be the ‘chili’ spice I was thinking.
- Beef is a popular choice of meat,however pork and venison are used too.Texas ‘chili’ has ‘All meat’ whereas ‘Yankee Chili’ has ‘meat and beans; cooked together.
- Chili are supposed to be very very hot and spicy,the impression I get.I keep mine toned down.You can add more chili pepper,if you like more heat.
- You can use store-bought broth of whatever kind you like.If I have chicken bouillon cubes,I use that if i don’t have broth.I have also used simple water.
- You can use black peppercorn.White peppercorn is less sharp.