Kale – 3 ways
Are you a Kale fan?
Well, we are not .Not without a makeover. I keep hearing how good these green leaves are and wished we start liking it for that reason alone. It doesn’t work that way for us unfortunately.My theory is, healthy food is healthy only if you are going to eat it, not just talk about it.So I decided to give kale a try in different ways, with prejudice, i must admit.
I have seen them at grocery store and almost bought a bag. Then I thought, I will roast a batch.It was a clear failure in our home. It left unappetizing bitter taste lingering in my mouth.I wasn’t convinced enough myself to convince my kids to try it. Wrong road. My children taste buds are not mine.
- Simply clean and spread Kale leaves, seasons with oil,salt and paper.
- Roast at 425F for 3-5 mins in a cookie sheet.
- Keep very close eyes .Don’t brown/burn it.Once out from the oven,let it cool down.
Enjoy(Well,that’s relative!) it warm and crispy.I have not given up on these chips after just one try. Will try it again.
Verdict :My kids had no problem eating it.They were not phased by green leaves.It did not turn ‘Dal’ bitter.I was afraid that bitterness will overtake lenti and it will be rejected unanimously. Tomatoes and mango powder had worked the magic. Just tomatoes will do too with punch of garlic 🙂
Kale – Mashed potatoes ( Borenkool Stamppot )
Mashed potatoes with kale.It works.
Let me tell you,the moment I set this dish on dinner table, my children started spooning it.Why? Because greens never bothered them anyway, NOT. First, timing was right(?), I was late in fixing dinner and they were starving(not earning best mom badge here).Mashed potatoes was appetizing enough for them to try it out.
Bitterness of boiled kale did not overpower the sweetness and creaminess of potatoes.Healthiness of Kale may have been compromised by the starchiness of potatoes but it is still a clear winner in my book.ugh..that was lots of ‘ness’ in one sentence but you get it !
So to summarize
Like I mentioned earlier, healthy food is healthy only if you consume it.
If we don’t like certain food we keep following in mind.
- Try couple of times.Some tastes are acquired and it takes time.
- Hide it in soup and stews in small proportion or mix it in dough etc.It is important that you do not add ‘too much’ of kale at once, subtle increments works.It is bitter in itself, not gonna lie.
- Go Global.There are more then one way to cook green beans or Kale for that matter.Keep open mind.
If none works, well God created varieties of foods and vegetables for a reason 🙂