What is your go to dessert recipe?
This is the question i asked myself,when i signed up to bring dessert last week.
Lemon squares are my go to dessert recipe during summer.Not only this is our family favorite,these squares are very easy to put together and full proof.It does not have flour(listed as ingredient),another big plus for me.Why do i say that?baked goods with whole wheat flour,i have found unpredictable at times and i like to avoid that when i have no plan B.
This recipe is based on Martha Stewart’s lime squares with very minor tweak.
- I used almonds instead of pistachios.
- I used 1/4 cup lemon juice instead of 1/2 cup of lime juice as the recipe calls for.I like the hint of lemon but not too much.
- To make it gluten free, eliminate the graham crackers and use nuts and almonds,ground for crust.
One piece of advice,make it night before, not 2 hours before you have to leave.You will save yourself last minute jitters.Just saying.
On my son’s birthday,he asked for these squares.So instead of making one big cake,i made these squares in in muffin tins.Same ingredients.All you do is
- Line the regular size muffin tins with cupcake liner.
- Add two tablespoon of crust mixture at the bottom of the muffin tins.Use 1/4 cup flat bottom measuring spoon to press the crust down.Bake the crust for 15 mins at 350F.Let it cool completely.
- Spoon the lemon mixture at the top of the crust.About 2 tablespoons in each cup.Bake at 350 until it looks set,about 20-25 mins.Keep checking.You do not want to burn it.
I think this is a nice variation from the cupcakes,more so if you are celebrating the birthday parties with family and friends separately and tired of eating cupcakes(Is that possible?) 🙂