If you have been to Indian restaurant,you must have noticed this creamy dish of peas and cheese presented in buffet. ‘mutter paneer’ precisely.’Mutter’ is ‘Peas’ in Hindi and ‘Paneer’ is Indian cheese.
It is one of those dish,which is reserved for special occasions.It has very rich and creamy sauce.Peas adds touch of sweetness to the dish,when you bite on it.My mom made it during festivals or when we have guests coming,to treat them with something luxurious.However,sometimes she just treated us on a regular day.
Al fresco dining set up
So,when my husband decided that he wants to start the weekend by having al-fresco dining by the river eating take out Indian food,i had to order ‘mutter-paneer’ with ‘Aloo-Paratha‘ for myself,while my husband favored Chicken Tikka Masala and Shrimp Biriyani .My son didn’t care for Paneer much but he liked rest of the stuff.For my daughter,Naan/Paratha/Plain Rice with Raita was the charm.
I was not going to cook ‘mutter-paneer’ anytime soon but it was very timely that my sister,Pritha, prepared it for her guests recently and shared the recipe with rest of us .
- 3/4 Cup Peas
- 1 Cup Indian Paneer,cut in cubes.
- 1-1/2 Onion chopped
- 2 Cups Tomatos puree
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Bell Pepper very fine chopped
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida powder(optional)
Wet Spice Mix
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Gram masala powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- In oil,brown the cubed paneer.Take it out.
- In a same 'Kadai'/'Pan',add chopped onion.
- Cook it until it is translucent.Take it out and grind it.
- Grinding the onion makes the gravy thicker and richer.Keep aside.
- In the same pan,add little more oil,if need to be.
- Add the seasoning,cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add wet spice mix to it.Let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add ground onion back to it.Mix it with spices.
- Add Tomato puree to the mixture above.
- Stir it for additional 3-5 minute til oil start coming out from the side of pan.
- Add Heavy cream and very finely chopped bell pepper.
Putting it together
- To this gravy, add peas.
- Stir it for 2-3 mins then add paneer.
- Add salt to taste at this point.
- Add water.Cover it with lid. immer it at low and slow.
- Keep and eye ,until there is thick gravy and everything is well coated and mixed.
- Enjoy it with Naan,Roti, Paratha , Rice
Indian tend to eat spicier food,so more chili powder is added.
Asafoetida is VERY pungent spice.It should be used not more then size of mustard seed,if not using powder.