Nutty Banana Apple bread
What do you do with overripe banana?
Easy answer,you make a banana bread.That’s what I did.My husband loved it with coffee and our little boy was eating it all day.
I followed the recipe from Food Network Magazine(May 2011).Recipe was meant to be the common recipe which can be customized for different fruits and nuts.So i picked the ingredients which suited my needs.
- I added wheat germs for health kick.
- Recipe asked to use only one kind of fruit such as grated pear, apple, banana, carrot, zucchini.However,i couldn’t help but combine apple and banana together and it tasted just fine.
- I didn’t glaze the bread,i was lazy.Also i didn’t think my family needed another coating of sugar.Pretty sure they didn’t miss it.Yon can use brown butter,vanilla bean,cream cheese,chocolate based glazes.
- I preferred yogurt over sour cream and vegetable oil over butter.You can use either.
- I felt it was tad sweeter for my taste but noone complained(Yeah really,does that happen?).I may experiment with little less sugar next time.
- Walnuts, Pecans, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, Dried (Cherries-Cranberries-currants-figs-apricots-pitted dates), rolled oats, chocolate chips, sweetened shredded coconut.
- Use the combination of the above, making sure not more then 3/4 cup of nuts.If mixing with fruits,chips,coconut,not more then 1-3/4 cups.Big pieces of fruits can be chopped.Nuts can be toasted.[I didn't]