Orecchiette Meatball Minestrone
Weather around here changes frequently this time of the year.You wake up with cold morning, you put on your warm jackets before you leave the house and you are hitting 70F in the afternoon and wondering why did you dress up like that?
So on one such day,i made minestrone meatball soup.Is this the first time you are hearing the word ‘minestrone’?I was curious to know when i heard this a while back,so here it is
- ‘Minestrone’ means soup in Italian,made with pasta and vegetables and touch of herbs.
- I used Orecchiette for pasta.It means “Little ears” in Italian.It looks like sorta little ear,isn’t it?Though here it is marketed as “shell” pasta and resembles that too ha !I would have preferred smaller shaped pasta but this is what i had in hand and it tastes just fine.
- Now to make it heartier,i added meatballs.You can use whatever kind you like.I made with chicken.
- You may have noticed me using turmeric a lot.It is Indian spice which i use regardless of the ethnicity of the food i am cooking.Why?Most importantly,it is rich in antioxidant.It is very subtle,makes no difference in the taste.You add only a dash/a sprinkle of it.If you can taste it,means you added too much.It adds lovely hue to the dish.Aesthetic is important to me 🙂
- Choice of herbs i used was totally what my eyes caught when i opened the spice drawer and i thought would be a good fit.
- I also like to use nutmeg and mace in meatballs.One or other.These are strong spices and just a sprinkle of it adds a touch of wonder to the dish.
- I pureed the vegetable in this soup.I like chunky and smooth both ways.Depending on the vegetables that i am using and the mood that i am in.I decide then and there 🙂
- Now the consistency,i like more of a thick consistency.So you need to add your liquid accordingly.Meatballs are already cooked and pasta takes 10-12 mins to cook.Adding pasta too early may mush it a little and that may not be a problem for some.I add it towards the end.You also do not want to stir up a lot.It will break the pasta and meatball.
And the verdict…..This was the first time i was making Meatball Minestrone .So wasn’t sure about the reaction.Both of ours kids had second serving and my daughter asked it for the lunch next morning.That says it all.It is a winner in my book.