Over simplified Shakshouka
Years ago I had watched an episode on food TV about the middle eastern breakfast staple,eggs cooked in tomato based sauce.I had to google around to find the exact name of the dish .‘Shakshouka’.That is the name of the middle eastern dish I had watched years ago and still remembered.
So today when hubby was getting back to home late from the work,i had no desire to cook anything for myself and kids.Finishing the leftovers was our dinner option.Oddly enough,all I had for leftover was plain rice,as you might have guessed it and no desire to make anything which requires dirtying lots of dishes and spending time in kitchen.So i made Shakshouka,based on my memory of what it looked like.Really my version is awfully simply and may not be even qualified to be called Shakshouka.This is what went to it.
|Over simplified Shakshouka||
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 chopped onions
- 1/2-3/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- I simply seasoned the oil with mustard seeds,added chopped onion,seasoning and browned it.
- Added tomato sauce,cook for may be 2 mins.
- Break the eggs over the sauce and let it cook at slow heat.When its firming up,flip it.That’s all to it.
- I served it with butter rice.Both of my kids loved the egg dish,so I would call it a successful try.
- You can jazz up the sauce by adding peppers,garlic,ginger and bunch of spices you like.
- You can use diced/crushed/fresh/canned whatever kind of tomatoes you got.
- I prefer my eggs to be well done but if you like runny eggs,don’t flip them.Take it off from the stove as the eggs sets per your liking.