‘Palak Paratha’ used to be one of those almost regular paratha my mom would make,when she has too much of ‘palak’ left over.’Palak’ is hindi for spinach.It made regular appearances at our house because it has been known to be good for the eyes.We eat it as sauted greens or make gravy based yummy dishes.I was not very fond of it growing up.I remember my ‘nana’ (mom’s dad) would just pull it out from the garden,right before it will be cooked.Fresh and green.It still had morning dew on it.Lovely memories.
We bought spinach fresh,dirt still hanging out from the roots.Leaves still crisp,certainly not refrigerated.It was a chore to clean the leaves,so i was ever so greatful when i found out that they sell it clean here.
This dish is prepared by my aunt Rita.Here is how she did it.
- Indian whole wheat flour resembles Whole Wheat White flour here.Very very fine and soft.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT that you must let dough rest for 30 mins.This goes for any dough.Though i sometime hurry up after 10-15 mins.
- Add,little oil as you are kneading,it helps the process.Indian knead it by hands,so this tip is even more important as it prevents it from sticking to the hand.You can use stand mixture if you have.
- Spinach and Indian pickle spices are salty,so think before you add more salt to it.
- This is also a great way to feed spinach to the family(kids).It freezes well.