Happy Resurrection Day my friends!
We celebrated the risen messiah at the downtown square, out and open in our community with sprinkle of rain here and there. It is great that we can hold the meetings like that, so openly in our community without any fear.
I have been thinking of the events in Ukraine, Russia, and Crimea a lot lately. Persecution of Christ follower is very real at this point of time in that part of the world .I wondered if the resurrection day was marred with fear this year for them.Can you imagine the fear that your Bible may get confiscated or you may be arrested or fined for reading the word of God? Would you pray for the leaders, for people and especially for the children who are often most neglected and end up orphan in the crisis like this?
What is Pasca?
‘Pasca’ is sweet bread, popular at the time of Easter in East European countries.I baked the Romanian version because I just happen to have the right amount of ingredients in hand .Ukrainians have very similar ‘Paska’ recipe, which is adorned with resurrection symbols and lacks the cheese.
What I liked about this bread?
It is very lightly sweetened bread. It also goes well with the coffee.Winner in my book 🙂 I didn’t think I will care for the cheese filling but it is a surprise element .We just started chowing down on it when we got back from the church service since food was yet to be ready. It is kid friendly .I taught my daughter to braid the dough rope. She was reluctant in the beginning but once she got the hang of it, she was proud of it.Taste reminded me of Peruvian Panettone minus the cheese of course.
I followed the recipe verbatim from Roxana’s home baking !I liked the visual sign in the recipe as it says,wait for the crack to appear on the top.This is a clear sign that yeast is working and blooming so the top of the dry flour cracks as it looks for the way to expand.
My disappointments and adjustments
- After I added the layer of dough at the bottom and braided rope around it, my well was not deep and big enough to contain the entire cheese filling.I used ¾ of the cheese filling. Cheese is the best part for me and I felt I didn’t get enough of it.
- Mine was also not shiny golden as it is in the original recipe.I think i missed some brushing step.
- You will notice the patch work in one of the side of bread.I was not very patient with snugging the end of the braid.So when i poured the cheese mixture,it oozed out little to make the spectacle for you all as it baked !
- One more thing,i baked 35 mins as suppose to 45 mins what recipe calls for at 325 F.Also after baking at 375F for 15 mins,i felt the top was browing too fast,so i covered it for aluminum foil for the rest of the baking period.
- I used cream cheese filling and vanilla extract.
Since all of us took a bite from it all day along,i would say this bread is a keeper.Do you have a favorite Easter recipe?