Potato Beet soup
Do you have a favorite soup that you make when you have cold or feeling sick?
My husband was under the weather last week.One of his favorite soup when he is not feeling well is potato soup.
This time was no different.I tweaked the soup little bit .I added beets for a change and didn’t make it cheesy.Beets are very good for you.it also adds deep pretty purple color and earthiness to the dish. However truth be told,we are not in love with the beets yet, so the trick is to mash it fine and make it unrecognizable to pick it out.Since Our kids had the second serving of the soup, I would say it is a keeper.
You can top it with sour cream/Greek yogurt and cheese if you like. I left out these items.
And you do not have to be sick to make it.
- 3 Russet potatoes
- 2 Stalks of celery
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 Beetroot(medium size)
- Dozen mini carrots
- 2 big cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp Ginger grated
- pinch of oregano
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric(optional but i always add it)
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cup water
- Sour cream/Shredded cheese for garnish
- Wash all the vegetables.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Chop onion,celery,beetroot,carrots.
- In a pot,add olive oil about 1-1/2 tablespoons.
- Add chopped veggies except the potatoes.
- Saute it until vegetables are translucent.Add potatoes.
- Add rest of the ingredients.
- Bring it to the boil and then simmer it down until it is done.
- Mash the vegetables with potato masher or puree it using blender.
- Add more liquid as per the desired consistency.
- Top it with sour cream or cheese if you like, before you serve.
- Enjoy it warm with crackers.