Resurrection Tomb cake
“5 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. ” Matthew 28:5-6
Yesterday,we looked around our house and found a trunk sitting in our front yard,screaming to be ‘repurposed’.So we did.It was the hollow tree trunk,perfect for tomb.We covered it with big rock.Did you notice the dirt on the top of the trunk?My kids tried to ensure the natural setting by adding more dirt and grass to it.
I wanted to bring this set up to our dinner table.Not surprising,there is number of variation of edible resurrection tomb on internet.I settled for this Resurrection cake because I thought it was fairly easy to put together.This is how we did.
- We baked strawberry yogurt Bundt cake.(Doesn’t this blotchy looking cake gives the tomb more weathered look?Trust me it was not on purpose but i had to say something to redeem myself.)
- We cut the baked cake in half.Used one half to make the shape of tomb and other half to eat while we were making it :-).No not really.We snacked just a little.
- Colored the shredded dry coconut flakes using cocoa powder to make the dirt.I didn’t think it was very green around there.
- Used crackers for stone and added some pieces of marshmallows for rocks( I know too white,forgot to swirl it in cocoa powder.)
- I made two angels by cutting a paper plate and asked my little sweet to give it a personality and see obliged.
I asked both of my kids to say the verse they are reminded of with empty tomb.They shared Matthew 28:6 with us.