Roasted Cauliflower head
Do you have a favorite vegetable?
I have many.One of it is cauliflower.I am thinking of my mom’s ‘Gobhi-Dum’,she makes during festivals.I have not been able to recreate it yet.
Yesterday,we were having leftover BBQ roasted chicken for dinner.So i was going to make the fixings for it.I prepared creamed corn.I was thinking to make potato salad which we love.
Then i noticed cauliflower head in my refrigerator. I knew precisely why i had bought it.
Couple of weeks ago,i saw color of Indian cooking cooking cauliflower in a way,i never thought of.Ever since i wanted to give it a try. I love roasted cauliflower.This one is whole cauliflower head roasted.So instead of potato salad we had roasted cauliflower.
Thai spice blend
- This in itself is very filling.Those of you who are on Paleo diet,you can have this instead of rice and potatoes.
- It is important that your cooked spice blend is sort of like coarse puree paste in the end.It sticks well that way.You can also grind onion and tomatoes first and then cook it with spices until raw taste is gone.
- If you like,you can save some of the cooked onion-tomato paste and top off the roasted cauliflower at the time of serving.In that case,adjust and increase the onion and tomatoes by 1 more at least.I served mine as it is.
Here is my version.My little boy is big fan of it :-).
- 1 head of Cauliflower(Stems,leaves removed)
- Water to submerge cauliflower head
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix *
- In a pot,add enough water to submerge cauliflower head.
- Boil it until it is tender yet still firm.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a pan,add oil.
- Saute onion until it is translucent.
- Add rest of the spice mix ingredients.
- Stir it and cook it covered until it is well blended and very mashed.
- Let the mix cool down a bit.
- Once cauliflower is tender,take it out.
- Let it rest until it is cool enough to touch.
- Use the small spoon or hand to lather the cauliflower with spice mix.
- Using your finger,add the mix wherever you can.
- Place the cauliflower in a baking dish.
- Roast it for 10 mins,then turn the oven temperature down to 375F.
- Bake it for another 20 mins.
- Take it out and let it rest.
- Slice it off by florets,enjoy.
I used Green Thai Curry spice blend.You can use your favorite blend or make your own.