Potatoes..one of my favourite vegetable…hmmm…..did I say vegetable?There are opinions out there which do not consider potatoes as vegetable.I do and I love it in every form. Indians use potatoes or ‘Aloo’ as it is called in Hindi in numerous ways.It is also one of that root vegetable,which makes other veggies look and taste good in its company.
Many veggie dishes my mom cooked,I only ate because they were cooked along with potatoes and eventually I developed the liking for the accompanying vegetable.I usually make potatoes very simply spiced but that particular day,i decided to jazz it up a bit and went town doing just that…lucky for me,everyone liked it.This is what went into it.
Onion and spices
Adding water to spices
Mixing it in spices
Spiced up potatoes
- 4-5 small to medium size ,thin skinned potatoes
- 1 small-medium chopped onion
- 1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1.5 Tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 grated ginger
- chili flakes to taste
- salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender.Slice them in half without breaking them.No need to peel the skin.
- Grind Coriander and Cumin seeds.
- In a pan,add oil,season it with mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onions,ginger,garlic to it.When onions are translucent.
- Add the ground coriander/cumin powder and chili flakes.
- Cook it with all the spices for 2 mins.Add little water to deglaze it.
- Add Potatoes to it.Season it with Salt.
- Gently fold the potatoes in spices.I served it along with skillet chicken and bread.
If you are not using thin skinned potatoes.You may have to peel them.
If potatoes are big,cut them in quarters.