Sugarless Oat Drops
Does your kids have odd demands during different time of the day?More so when it comes to eating?
Mine does.Like cookies for breakfast or yogurt and sprinkle for lunch,donuts for dinner.Seriousely?really?What i am doing wrong here?Did you also notice something common?sugar.Yes the sweetopia.
So i have been in lookout for breakfast cookies for sometime.This morning i finally settled on this sugarless oat drops.I had to adapt the recipe big time,here is why?
I was DETERMINED to make it if i have most all ingredients,no matter what and this is how it went.
- Last night i had two big bananas,this morning i noticed one.My darling husband had healthy snack of banana :-).So i added homemade applesauce to make up for that.
- It calls for almond meal.Here is a thing,i don’t buy almond meal.Why?It is expensive and i don’t use it as much like “flour” but i do keep raw almonds to snack on or blanched almonds to bake with.So i ground it to make almond meal.It was 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 and i do not wanted to waste it,so i figured i am going to use it all and i did.
- I also did not have coconut flakes.I am turned off by the presence of “sulfates” in it,so until i figure out the easy way to use freash coconut or find the one which doesn’t have “sulfates”,or get over it,i will refrain.
- I used chopped dates ,dry cherries and mixed fruit in it.Cherries add tartness to it,if you don’t like it,use what you like.
- I also reduced the amount of oil by 1/8 cup.I felt,applesauce and lack of coconut flakes,it needed to be readjusted.
Now the verdict:
- It is NOT a cookie.Breakfast or any kind.It is “oat drop” and that’s the way i will keep it.Cookie has lots of personality traits attach to it and these oat drops defies them.It is soft,not chewy,not crunchy,not too sweet but sweet enough.You can smell the bananas and taste the cherries and dates.
- It does taste like bit of health food because it is.It has NO SUGAR.It contains heart healthy old fashioned oats and nuts such as almonds and walnuts.Mixture of fruits and fiber. So when you are eating it,think that you are doing yourself a favor.Did i scare you?Please say no.I am telling the truth.
- Both of my kids did not care for it.I liked it ok and my husband liked it better then me.