Swedish Chicken Meatballs
Spaghetti and meatball,a classic American fare is well liked in our home.Particularly my little pasta lover girl,begs for it regularly.So i obliged them today :-).We like regular meatballs in red sauce but my hubby,LOVES Swedish style meatballs and so do I.
However,as much as i have heard the glory of IKEA Swedish meatballs,none of us have tasted it and not being a red meat eater,I could never taste one in future either.Also I am kinda picky about meatballs.Yes I would like an Asian inspired meatballs “may be” but it’s not something I get excited about eating.I have prepared this Swedish Meatballs recipe before,so we stuck with it today as well.
- I used 1 lb ground chicken and adjusted rest of the ingredients accordingly.I used melon baller to scoop out the meatballs,which is not round but flattened and I call it Chicken Fritters.I wasn’t counting but it made 3 dozen meatballs easily.I froze some.It was great just as it is without sauce.It will be a great filling for pita bread unsauced.
- You know i often tell you to adapt and tweak the condiments per your liking, well, you can but i would be very hesitant in replacing cardamom and nutmeg.It not only gives subtle aroma to the dish,it adds bit of mellow sweetness,touch of ‘omph’ to the meatball.MUST HAVE in my book.
- I just added plain water to make gravy.It looks dark because i made the gravy in a same nearly burn out pan,i shallow fried the meatballs and no, it was not burnt for the record 🙂
- I forgot to add any Jelly this evening but i have added plum jelly before.Of course,add Lingonberry Jelly,if you have, for traditional touch.
- I added 2 tablespoon or may be less of yogurt in the end.Yogurt(sour cream) adds subtle tang to this dish and i would say MUST ADD as well.
- I served the dish with Linguine mixed with Oil marinated Artichokes-sundried tomatos-olive blend.Lets just say,we just had enough leftover for next morning lunch for my daughter.