Of late,I have started making these Swedish meat balls regularly.I didn’t think i even like them.Funny how taste buds changes.My family prefers it over the traditional meat and red sauce kind of meatballs.
This time i experimented and added bit of twist to the previous version.
- These are made of ground chicken.I don’t think Swedish make these with chicken.You can choose the meat you like.
- Instead of breadcrumbs , i used cooked quinoa.
- Used only egg whites with apple butter and milk.It added touch of mild sweetness to the meatball which we like.
- These are not perfectly well rounded meatballs.Mixture is not stiff but these are very moist,that i can say.
- I was out of half and half,sour cream.I used regular milk and it worked fine.
- Nutmeg ,Cardamom adds touch of fragrance to these meatball.Don’t overdo these spices.
And when i found out that Swedish prefer their meatball with Lingonberry Jam,i thought hmmm..weird combination.Now after tasting it with this Jam,i have a very good reason to keep it around.My daughter said,why is there jam on your plate?
Swedish Chicken Meatballs
Its not famous IKEA meatballs but its pretty well liked in our family by my kids and hubby alike and me too 🙂
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1/2 finely chopped medium onion
- 1 small clove of garlic crushed
- 3/4 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple butter
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- salt to taste
- milk(about 3/4 cup,depends on how much gravy you want)
- In a pan,add oil and saute the onion and garlic.
- Once at room temperature,add this to a bowl.
- Add rest of the meatball mix ingredients.Mix it well.
- Add ground chicken to the bowl and gently mix it by folding.Season it.Don't over mix.
- In a pan,add enough oil to coat the surface.
- Scoop meatball chicken mix using cookie scoop/hand/spoon and add it to the pan.
- Let it cook on both side until lightly browned.
- Once all chicken is cooked,take it out.
- In a same pan,if not enough oil remains,add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add flour and stir it constantly for 2 mins.
- Add milk and keep stirring it from other hand,once well dissolved.
- Add cardamom.Make sure it has enough salt.
- Add the meatballs back to it and simmer it down for 10 mins,until sauce is thickened and chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve it with Pasta.