Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Biscuits
Sweet Potato…..where do i start?It is one of those very good for you kind of root vegetable but somehow my taste buds doesn’t seem to agree with it.Well,its not only me..my husband and kids didn’t like sweet potatoes in the forms we have tried it so far.That is until now.
..Different occasion has different dish associated with it.Sweet potatoes and Thanksgiving goes hand in hand.I know it is hot Texas summer here and thought of Thanksgiving is not even close in horizon.But during one of our recent grocery trip,i couldn’t ignore the ‘sweet potatoes’ lurching side by side as i picked up 5 lb bag of potatoes..i picked just ‘1’ sweet potato..yes 1 is what i could bring myself to buy..
I came across Paula Deen’s sweet potato recipe in Food Network magazine (Nov 2011).Simplicity of ingredients,lack of shortening and buttermilk convinced me to try the recipe sooner then later..So in the weekend,as what looks like a new tradition in our home,breakfast for dinner is becoming a norm.I have lately become very reluctant in cooking big meaty meal in the weekend…so I served these sweet and delicate sweet potato biscuits with scrambled eggs for dinner…my daughter loved patting the dough and cutting the biscuits !
And was i glad that i tried !!!! I am FAN of sweet potato fluffy biscuits now..Yay !On the dinner table,
My husband (taking a bite on biscuit) – What does it have?
me: sweet potato.
him :Hmmm…really?You can’t taste sweet potato at all.
me:Yup,thats the point !
So we all in the family,have found a common agreeable ground to chew on !My son loves it the most i think.Where does this lead me?I am thinking beets 🙂
So the first time i followed the recipe as it is but yesterday i gave it a whole wheat,buttermilk twist.This is how
- Replaced 1-1/2 cup all purpose flour with 1 cup of White Whole Wheat 1/2 cup of red whole wheat(more germs).
- Added about 1 cup of sweet potato,so that took care of some of the moisture and reduced the amount of butter to 4 tablespoons from 6.
- Used 1/3-1/2 cup of buttermilk instead of milk,it would have spoiled otherwise.
- I cut the sugar completely.Sweet potatoes add touch of sweetness and my family eats their biscuit with jelly,so there was absolutely no need for additional sugar.
- It did NOT rise as much as regular whole wheat biscuits but it was still FLUFFY and very well liked by everyone 🙂
- I baked it this time in cast iron skillet because you know i can !