We read a book called ‘Pancakes for Supper!” by Anne Issacs, illustrated by Mark Teague.I think food tastes better when you have tales to go with it,more so if kids are the diners.So the title seemed appropriate enough for us to check it out.
Story is about a little girl named Toby who is on her way to Whisker Creek,once upon a morning in March wood with her parents… As the story takes scary turns and Toby lands in jungle where she encounters wolf, cougar, skunk, porcupine and bear one after another.She outwitted each one of them and saved herself from getting devoured.She enjoyed one hundred and sixty nine pancakes with fresh maple syrup for being as tired as she had been and the brave girl that she was.
It just so happened that on past Saturday evening,as weekends kicked in,i was not much in a mood to cook.Pancakes are always in our house.Toby’s pancakes sounded perfect.It is little more work then my regular pancakes but it was worth it.
Pancakes with maple syrup
I added wheat germs to give it a health kick.It was not the part of the recipe.Our kids would have been thrilled to have animal pancakes but i lacked the patience to do the detail work.*sigh*.So i kept the pancake basic.Everyone enjoyed it with maple syrup and scrambled eggs.
- 1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
Oil the pan
- Pam spray/butter
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl,mix all the wet ingredients using electric mixer.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Your basic pancake batter is ready.
- Add pam spray/butter in a pan.
- Add spoonful of batter to hot pan.Turn the heat to medium low.
- When bubbles appear on top,it is time to turn the pancakes.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Continue until all batter is used.
- Enjoy with Maple syrup.
- For blueberry pancakes : fold in 1 cup of fresh frozen blueberries to batter with spatula.
- For banana pancakes : fold in 1/2 cup of thinly sliced banana and 1/2 cup walnuts and mix it in batter with spatula
DECORATIONS for ANIMAL PANCAKES
- Cut the pancakes into triangles and rectangles to make ears, snouts, legs and tails.
- Apple slices can make tails or legs.
- Tangerine section make nice smiles.
- Julienne apple can make porcupine quills.
- With a potato peeler,make white apple peels for skunk's stripe.
- Use raisins or cherries for eyes.
- Little apple triangles can make nice/sharp teeth.
- When pancakes are decorated and ready to eat,pour maple syrup on top and enjoy.
Pancakes with maple syrup
Pancakes for supper
Pancakes for Supper