Unified Chicken Drumsticks
I am having problem christening this dish.Since i threw in the stuff as i opened my spice drawer and walked to my pantry.One good thing was,it received 3 out 5 rating from my husband and son.Much improvement over 0,don’t you think?
It has black mustard seed as seasoning,which is quintessential ‘South’ Indian.Notice the black round seeds in Onion.Then it also has ‘Cumin’ (thin and long seeds)and ‘Coriander’ (round seeds which are certainly used powdered everywhere but as ‘seeds’ mostly in ‘North’ Indian cooking.They are the seeds of green and leafy ‘Cilantro’ you buy in store.
When i opened the spice drawer,i saw the Southwest seasoning by Mrs Dash and i thought why not?Sprinkle a little,it wouldn’t hurt.This is where my ‘christening’ dilemma comes from…I am calling it ‘Unified’.Feel free to shoot your naming ideas.
This is what went to it
- I wrote the amount after i cooked,so its approx.
- Poke the chicken with fork or knife and marinade longer if you want to.This was my last minute deal.
- Mustard seeds are optional,you can completely leave them out.However being raised as Indian,i almost always season the oil with different spice seeds while cooking Indian.It adds that extra nuttiness and zing to the dish.
- I peel and freeze my ginger and grate it directly over the dish.Its very potent spice,so not too much.
- Turmeric powder,you can leave if you want to.I would not because my Mom always says “You eat first with your eyes.” I know i would not like the limp colorless look of the dish at the end, besides its good for you.So its a staple spice in my drawer.It perks up the look.