Whole Wheat Biscuits
Yesterday I spent nearly all day outside and was not in a mood for much of elaborate cooking.So when i feel like it ,we have breakfast for dinner.I decided on biscuits.It is one of the favorite breakfast item for my family.Particularly my boys 🙂
Do you know what is better then whole wheat biscuits?
Fluffy and soft spaceships,Hello Kitty and Heart Biscuits !!
I have come long way in making biscuits and have made some awful biscuits in past.This time i was trying with completely whole wheat.I tried two version.
- Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits using Whole Wheat White Flour
- Buttermilk Biscuits using Whole Wheat Pastry flour,i left cheese out to see how it tastes without cheese.
Verdict : No significant difference in YUMMINESS .It was received VERY WELL by my whole wheat loving family (*sarcasm*),hubby and kids alike.
- I used cast iron skillet because i LOVE cast iron,you can bake in any baking dish.
- I learn this tip to keep the biscuit close to each other,so as it rises,it lifts its adjacent buddy to rise too(build each other in friendship) 🙂
- I have been always puzzled when it says cut 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch.So i have learnt to work backwards.I find out how many biscuits the recipe makes and know my biscuit sizes,which is not uniform in my case,give and take.So as i am flattening the dough with the palm of my hand,i judge if i can cut that many biscuits,more or less.Does that make sense?
- I may add shredded carrot or sweet potato/beets to the dough next time.Extra fibre doesn’t hurt.
- You absolutely can cut biscuits in any shape you desire.My kids get a kick out of the shapes and it adds up to the talking points.
- I served these biscuits with scrambled eggs and skillet potatoes(I know carbs with carbs but it is sorta standard i wanted to stick to).
- I would have loved to cook the potatoes in cast iron but i was baking biscuits in one and seasoning the other at the same time.Saving bit of energy 🙂
- It tastes equally GREAT next morning too.I will be freezing the extras.Both my big and little boys are big fan of biscuits and jelly.So are the girls!
I followed this recipe verbatim,there was not much to change anything to.