Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
I love good cinnamon rolls.I think it is perfect for morning breakfast.So rightnow that my sister is visiting us,i decided to give a try to homemade cinnamon rolls.
Most cinnamon rolls i have tasted so far are regular all purpose flour based,glazed in icing.Very delicious.I wanted to give a whole wheat twist to it.So i hopped the blogs for the ideas and sort of settled on this recipe.
We were also playdating today with my dear friends and decided i could totally use the opportunity for taste testing.My assumption is they gave me their honest reviews and not being just nice to me.So based on 7 kids and 4 judging adults this is what i found out.
- As far as taste go,they didn’t know until i told them that it is whole wheat cinnamon rolls.Which tells me that density of whole wheat was not significantly noticeable.Or could it be that their taste buds where zapped by the sweetness,totally undermining the texture?
- It was not as flaky as what i have tasted with all purpose however it is good enough for me to stick to it.
- Few munchkins had additional serving of it and my son could not stop eating it,so that proves the point above,i must say 😉
- If i may add one thing,i slacked in glazing.I like sweet but not too sweet,so i did not glaze it as heavily with thick syrup goodness.I know it looks sloppy,i will do better next time.
- I decided to cut the rolls heart shaped,just to make it little more visually appealing then round concentric circles.Don’t know if they noticed,since it does not look like anything in the picture.I should have been little more diligent with it.You get the ideas.You can totally go proven traditional way.May be thats what i should have stick to…Hmmm…
- I stay away from quick rise yeasts.Past experiences have told me that i would rather wait for 5 mins and see the yeast in full blooming action then anticipate that it will bloom .I also add milk and flour slowly as it kneads and as i feel it is needed to add.