Whole Wheat Date Brownies
Couple of weeks ago,i renewed my Costco card.Still trying to convince myself,it was a right decision.During my last trip i noticed Dates.I think the last time i had dates,i was still in school.Like high school. Hmmm…are you guessing my age? Don’t.
I am not a big fan of dates but i like ‘date puddling’ my mom makes.Very rich.These days,i have been looking for a way to sweeten the dish naturally with fruits.So i felt,i can use dates for that reason.Though Costco did not have anything less then 2 Lbs and i felt like i “MUST” have this “NOW”,i bought it.So with that began the hunt for recipes,which my family will like it,in their first experience.Finally i decided on this date bar recipe.
Then i adapted.You are not surprised,are you?
- I did not have “white” chocolate chips,i had regular semi sweet chocolate chips.Why?It is much more versatile and better liked in our family.Beside,cocoa vs not cocoa..Hmmmm…cocoa please.
- I added applesauce to it and cut the butter by 2 Tablespoons.
- I recently read that you can reduce the amount of sugar by 1/4 cup in most recipes without noticing much difference in sweetness,so i did and it was RIGHTLY said.Not to mention,it had super sweet dates.Another reason to reduce it.
- I substituted the ‘All purpose’ with whole wheat white flour.No difference it made.
- In order to make the dates easily mashable,it left it in hot water for 3-4 mins and mashed it with the fork.Pit comes out easily.
I was in a dilemma of what to call this dessert.It certainly did not look sticky and compact like bar,as you would imagine.It was cakey but not too cakey.It was chewy but not Brownies Chewy.Somewhere in middle.BUT it looked like brownie.It was cut like brownie.It has the taste of chocolate and depth of flavor from dates and it did taste similar to brownie.So when my 3 year old asked for the third serving,he asked ,”if he can have more brownies”.So here it is,ladies and gentleman,I will call it Date Brownies.My little boy agrees with me 🙂