Whole Wheat Pop Tarts
This weekend my two little loves and i joined hands together to whip up some treats for school days.I take this philosophy very seriously that,”Let your kids help you in the kitchen with the food that they will be eating.”Though it doesn’t happen everyday or doesn’t even happen in most organized manner,we try as much as we can.
I got acquainted with this sugar overload after i got married and my husband had it for the breakfast sometime.Hmmm..can you taste anything besides sweetness?And why would you eat that much sweet in the morning?Needless to say,pop tarts hardly visited our home soon after.I don’t think i ever bought it for our kids.
Then I came across this whole wheat pop-tart recipe and have been wanting to make it ever since.It did not look anything like what i have seen in store,white and glazed.So i decided to give it a try.
- I let my kids cut it in the shape they liked.My son chose Buzz lightyear’s space ship and we cut some as liberty bell.We are celebrating freedom week at my daughter’s school.
- Both of our kids love to roll the dough with hand,rolling pin,palm of their hands,So i leave bit of dough for them to roll,play around with in the end.Everyone is happy 🙂
…and drumroll please..I LOVED it and so did my husband and so did our kids..Passing the husband test is big for me,when i am trying the whole wheat recipes 🙂 What i love about this recipe?
- It is whole wheat for one thing.
- You can totally control the jelly filling,sugar wise.
- Glaze or not,sprinkle or not..it tastes just as good..i sprinkled mine because i was lazy to egg wash it..(break the egg,find a dish to save the egg yolk and then make egg wash with whites..too much work)
- Most importantly,the SAME DOUGH can be used for THREE recipe..PERFECT ..
- I made one batch of pizza pillows,filled with chicken and cheese and another batch of pop tarts.Didn’t had enough left for mini apple pies.
- I baked it at 400F as oversight and it turn out fine,i have convection oven ,so it cooks faster too.Next time i will remember to do at 375F to see if there is any difference.Since it was gone very quickly,i am guessing,temperature did not make much difference in taste !
- sprinkled leftover unshaped dough with some cinnamon sugar and baked it until crisp.So no wastage.
- I will be packing it in the lunch for little treat.Who says pop tarts are only for breakfast?