Wine Braised Chicken
I think of braising when I am lazy or busy or it is a cold night.In this case it was first.We had leftover just enough for kids.I don’t wanted to do detail cooking,keeping it simple yet flavorful was my plan..So I thought it would be a good opportunity to use ‘wine’.I am nowhere near to be wine connoisseur.I do like to take a sip of wine time to time with my sweet husband while watching TV.
Usually if I use wine in a dish,I use it in conjunction with water.Very little wine with lots of water or broth.In this case though,I wanted ‘wine’ to be the star of the show.So i used only wine and no water at all.This is how this simple dish came about.
|Wine Braised Chicken||
- 5-6 Chicken drumsticks or pieces of your choice
- 1/2 bottle of 750 ml bottle of wine (which you will drink.)
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 chili flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add oil in pan.Once hot,add onion.Saute it until translucent.
- Add rest of the ingredients except wine.
- Once chicken is brown.Add wine until chicken is submerged.
- Cook at medium – low heat for 45 mins or until chicken is cooked and not much liquid left.
- Enjoy !
- I repeat,use the wine which you will drink.No cooking wine.I used ‘White Zinfandel’ for this dish.
- If you don’t do wine,use broth,water.
- Since wine is heavily used in this dish and I hold the belief that it is not all evaporated during the cooking,i did not let me kids eat it.I chose to make this dish in the night,when my kids had mac and cheese which they were happy eating.