Wok Roasted Chicken
Today we prepared ‘Wok Roasted Chicken’.I buy whole chicken regularly because its cheap and i usually get 2-3 different meals out of it.Most of the time,i just do regular oven roasting but i wanted to change it up a bit.We read ‘Daisy Comes Home’ today.It is a story of little girl named ‘Mei Mei’ who lives with her six happy chickens in a farming village of China.We thought,it would be cool to eat something which has Chinese flare to it.
Besides,it is one of my favorite form of roasted chicken.My husband does not favor regular roasted chicken much but he likes this one.On the top of that,when my daughter says,this is her favorite chicken after taking a bite to it,you know it is a winner.
We looked into the globe to know where China is.My daughter was trying to see if it is bigger then US or not.We prayed about the people of China that they get to exercise the religious freedom as we do in our country.That,more and more Chinese people get the opportunity to hear the gospel of Christ and let their life be transformed.
I based it on Mrs Wongs wok roasted Chicken recipe, like this
- It takes little bit of elbow grease to flip the whole chicken without splattering all over your hand.I wore mittens(very rare phenomena,unless i am using oven).I used the back of wooden spatula to put inside the cavity and flipped it.Beware that it does make lots of sound and splatters.But you will do this exercise once-twice only.
- During the flipping process,skin peels off and i know it doesn’t look pretty but it still tastes good.
- Leftover sauce from cooking is the best thing for dipping.
- I cooked it longer then what Mrs Wong’s recipe calls for and checked for doneness(skin pulling out from the legs,falling apart).Also i don’t have broth usually,so the water was just fine.
- I used carbon steel wok but you can use regular pot to make it.
- Do not ignore sesame oil.Just 1/4 teaspoon, adds nuttiness and does wonders to your nose and palate.I was too lazy to brush the chicken with it,so i added it in dipping sauce instead.
- I tried to use as authentic of Chinese ingredient as i can get.I have been the kind of person who improvise with what i can easily find in my store and sub it.But i have noticed enough difference in taste that i try not to compromise when it comes to Chinese cooking.